Monday, February 4, 2013

New Music Monday: Ben Rector

Ben Rector isn't exactly a new artist but I only recently discovered him, I had heard "When A Heart Breaks" before but had never paid much attention to (now its one of my absolute favorite songs!).

A while back I was watching "Make it or Break it" (Don't Judge me!!) and on one of the episodes there was a song that had a line that stuck out to me, "I've got scars to prove that I don't need you, but my heart knows that I always do." the song, titled "You and Me", had also previously been on One Tree Hill (how I missed that since I watched that show religiously is beyond me). But I absolutely love that line! I had to look up the song immediately which led to about an hour of looking up his other songs. I haven't found anything by him that I don't absolutely love. I love his voice and his lyrics to his songs are just amazing and so sweet and different from other things you hear on the radio these days.

So who is Ben Rector, well I did a little digging and here are 5 things you should know about him!

1. During his freshman year at the of college he released a self-titled EP that featured the song “Conversation”, which went on to win the Grand Prize in the pop category of the John Lennon Songwriting Contest in 2006.(He is the youngest person to ever win this award in the pop category!)

2. He has released 4 albums, 2 EPs, and 1 single

3. In 2010 He was #11 on Billboards Heatseeker chart.

4. Took Piano as a small child but didn't seriously get into music until high school when he picked up the guitar and began writing

5.Moved to Nashville in 2009 and recorded a Chirstmas EP, with classic songs on which he arranged all the music and played all the instruments recorded on each track!

It is really hard for me to pick one favorite song by him, so I will post my top 3. Check them out and make sure to follow Ben on Twitter, Facebook and Youtube!

You and Me


She Is


When A Heart Breaks

No comments:

Post a Comment